As a general rule, you get what you pay for. But there are a few things out there that are absolutely helpful for birth photography!
1. WordPress software WordPress software (the kind you install on your own host, not the WordPress.com service) is the most powerful website development tool out there. And it is FREE. Granted you have to pay for hosting (I pay $50 a year for my hosting, so that’s not too expensive) but the value of WordPress software for your website is incredible. There are lots of great free themes out there, too!
2. Rachel Brenke’s Legal Lens eBook and newsletter Rachel is a photographer and attorney who writes about the law and photography. The eBook is very useful and the newsletter enjoyable. (It’s not free, but she even sells a birth photography contract!!)
3. Open Office Software for your business, includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database manager, presentation creator, and more!
4. Creative Live Keep an eye on the offerings from this amazing company. The courses are free if you watch them live, or you can pay for older classes. The live classes are an amazing deal, though. And you can participate in online chats during the class, and maybe your question will be chosen to be answered on air.
5. Photoshelter guides Free ebooks aimed at the business side of photography.
6. Pricing for Profit A free 15 page pricing guide that will ensure you price so that you are earning money for your work.
7. Social Media Tools While not a replacement for a real, solid web site, social media tools like Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube and Pinterest can be great additions to your marketing arsenal. Just make sure you’re on the right side of the TOS.
8. If you don’t know much about the birth process, the resources on the Lamaze web site are a good place to start. It’s also possible a local instructor will allow you to sit in on her class for free or for a small materials fee.
9. If you live in the US, the Small Business Administration is a fantastic resource for starting your business. Every office does things differently, but mine does free seminars, free one on one one help, and super low cost workshops ($10 for the day and includes lunch!) for small businesses.
10. Mad Mimi is a fantastic way to create newsletters for your clientele. And it is free for basic use. If you want to see what I have been doing with it, sign up for my newsletter! There’s a link at the bottom of this page.
Do you have a good free resource for birth photographers? Share it in the comments!